Saturday, September 6, 2014

It's my Grandpa's Birthday!

Hello, my loves!

This may be quick because my fingers are going numb and I am shivering here in this darn library! I do not like it when they do freeze-outs in public places. Yeah, so I don't know how much I can handle of it!

{Happy Birthday, Grandpa Tom! I love you to pieces and am so thankful to have you in my life! You are one of my best friends. Love, love love you!!}

This week was great! I am so in love with this area I am serving in and the people we are teaching. I will share a few highlights!

1// Darin, from my last area was baptized on Saturday! Happy, happy day! I think this was definitely one of my favorite baptisms I have ever been to. The feeling there was so wonderful and I was so filled with happiness! His parents were there and we were all so happy to see each other. His dad, Barry, was able to baptize him! And his mom and I stayed teary-eyed together the whole time. It felt so good to be back with the people I love so dearly in Oak Hills! Darin changed how I see prayer and greatly affected my view on our relationship with Heavenly Father. I know He is there because I have seen Him answer the prayers of one of my dear friends when he decided to try and pray. He is very aware of us and our needs and desires. I love my Father in Heaven and I know He hears our prayers. I am so grateful to know Darin and to have been able to experience this mighty change with him. I am so happy for our friendship! And the gospel is what allowed us this opportunity to grow and learn together! 

2// Taylor was baptized too! Taylor is the young girl(10) we are teaching here. She just moved here with her grandparents and has been coming to church with them. We started to teach her the week we arrived in West Linn and she was ready to be baptized. It was a special day! She is so sweet. Taylor is really smart and so sweet. She loves frozen yogurt and loves to make funky combos whenever we go out with their family! Her favorite song is, "I Love to see the Temple." That is what we sang for the closing song. She had just learned it on the piano and played it herself to close the meeting. It was so cute! The ward was wonderful and very supportive! Willamette is the best. 

3// I read a really cool passage of scripture from the Doctrine and Covenants! It said that we are commanded to assemble together and instruct and edify each other. I thought this was so wonderful, especially since we have been trying to meet a lot of members here in the area who are no longer actively coming to church. I realized that we really NEED each other. Each of us have something to give and something to gain from joining together. We met an incredible man, named Tom last week. We took our Bishop with us to go and meet him this week and I saw how true this scripture is! I know there are members in the Willamette ward who need Tom there, to edify and instruct, to build and enlighten each other. God said the purpose of that is to know, "how to act upon the points of my law and commandments." WE teach from each other about our Father and how to act more fully upon our faith. Our faith really is developed from sharing our experiences and knowledge with each other. I loved it! And i loved how much I learned from chatting with Tom, his testimony is so wonderful, even though he is not actively practicing, his faith in Christ is beautiful and most definitely something I could learn from. 

4// The Mormon message, "The Hope of God's Light" has changed my life! I LOVE it so much. You ALL should go watch it. It is so well done and it really helps me to have faith in those we are working with. I love when he says, "For two years God was nurturing a questioning soul." God IS involved throughout our whole life's journey, not just at sporadic times when it is evident and clear to us. He is nurturing and preparing us, giving us little by little in our experiences until we are prepared to receive our answer. I love that message, especially at this time in my life. I know my interactions with people here, regardless of the outcome, is part of God's nurturing plan. He is preparing them to feel His perfect love for them. My job as a missionary, and as a member for the REST of my life, is to follow the spirit and help in their experiences and journey of finding answers. What is cool, is that this is true of me too! I know my Father in Heaven has nurtured me and given me bit by bit in preparation for a more powerful and personal relationship with Him. I KNOW He lives and I KNOW He loves me. 

Lindsay from Oak Hills is getting baptized this weekend and I cannot express my excitement in adequate terms! I love Lindsay so very, very much and am so excited to see her again. She is so excited for her baptism and to finally find where she belongs. I have decided that is what I want to do! I am committed to being someone that makes more people feel needed and like they fit and belong right there with us. I was reflecting on the beginning of my mission and trying to figure out what helped it to be such a great start and experience and a smooth transition. The Morby's were so good at that! They were so wonderful at making me feel needed and valuable. I am so grateful for that experience and for all the other experiences I have had that have helped me to feel loved. I want to give that to other people for the rest of my life!

I have to get going! Have a very happy week. You're in my thoughts and prayers! 

Xoxo! 

Sister Kerr

No comments:

Post a Comment